2013 NCGA Championship Primer
February 19, 2013
PEBBLE BEACH – The 2013 NCGA Championship Season is within an earshot of getting underway, so it’s good to brush up on a few things that every NCGA member should know heading into this year’s edition.
- Since its opening in 1986, Poppy Hills GC has regularly hosted several NCGA championships year-in and year-out. However, with a yearlong renovation beginning in less than a month, 2013 will mark the first time in more than two decades that Poppy Hills won’t host a single NCGA championship.
- Because of the 13-month Poppy Hills renovation project several new venues will be used in 2013 for NCGA Championships, including: Carmel Valley Ranch GC, Spanish Bay GC and Silverado Resort.
- Monterey-area courses, Bayonet / Black Horse GC, Del Monte GC and Quail Lodge GC—regular contributors to the NCGA championship schedule—will take on bigger roles with the closure of Poppy Hills, adding several tournament days that would normally occur on the Monterey Peninsula.
- As usual Spyglass Hill will be a regular host for NCGA Championships in 2013, with 11 tournament days scheduled there between April and August. Other repeat venues will be used in 2013 including Riverbend GC (Valley Amateur) for the third straight year and Valley Hi CC (Super Senior Championship) for the second straight year.
- While the NCGA traditionally kicks off its championship season with either the Senior or Public Links Championship, the first championship of 2013 will be the brand new Mixed Team Spring Championship at Carmel Valley Ranch GC on March 29-30. This championship is in addition to the Mixed Team Championship, which again will close out the NCGA Championship season November 1-2 at Bayonet / Black Horse GC.
- The first registration deadline is less than a week away (February 22 – NCGA Senior), with others just around the corner: March 1 – Mixed Team Spring Championship, March 8 – Public Links Championship/Net Public Links Championship, March 15 – Four-Ball Championship.
- One of the more popular NCGA events, the NCGA Public Links Championship has been split into two separate championships for 2013 to accommodate more golfers. Historically, the Public Links Championship has fielded 120 players, 40 championship players and 80 net players, who compete two days in April at Spyglass Hill. This year, on April 29-30, 120 championship players will compete one day at Bayonet GC and one day at Spyglass Hill, while 120 net players will do the same—the championship players concluding the 36 hole-event at Spyglass Hill and the net players concluding at Bayonet .
- In the biennial rotation between the NCGA and SCGA, 2013 is the NCGA’s year to host the California State Amateur. The 102nd Annual CGA Amateur Championship will return to Monterey Peninsula CC (June 20-25), six years removed from its previous hosting. One primary difference between this year’s event and the 2007 version is that the Dunes Course will host the match play rounds, not the Shore Course. As for the CGA Senior Championship, the SCGA will be hosting the event at San Gabriel CC November 4-6.
- The NCGA has developed a partnership with the CWAC (California Women’s Amateur Championships) and will now be involved in assisting in the administration of the organization’s three championships: CWAC Senior (May 14-16, Corral de Tierra CC), CWAC Junior (June 24-27, Monterey Peninsula CC) and CWAC Amateur (August 26-30, Quail Lodge GC). For more information, please visit www.cwacgolf.org
- In its sixth year of operation and third year as a joint operation with the NCPGA, the Junior Tour of Northern California (JTNC) continues to flourish. This year the JTNC will be offering 22 events two more than 2012. For more information please go to www.jtnc.org